Mary White was born in Croesyceiliog, Wales, she studied at Goldsmiths College (1949-50) and married the painter Charles White. She lived and worked in South Wales where she taught art until the mid 1970s. From then she concentrated on ceramics full time. She specialised in delicate porcelain bowls with wide rims in pastel blues and greens. She practiced calligraphy and was a fellow of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators, sometimes exhibiting with the oranisation. She moved to Germany in 1980 where she concentrated on organic forms in porcelain. She sometimes incorporated lettering on her ceramics mainly in lustre, but these were not popular in Germany. She took up calligraphy again in the 1990s and combined the two art forms. She wrote Lettering on Ceramics, A&C Black, 2003.