Wales SWANSEA and NANTGARW
The Cambrian Pottery, Swansea operated from 1764 to 1870. While much of its production was in utility transfer decorated wares, it produced earthenware with very fine painted decoration by William Weston Young and Thomas Pardoe. Porcelain was produced between 1814 and 1817 and was compared very favourably with the products of the French factory at Sevres. Decorators included William Billingsley and Thomas Baxter.
Nantgarw Pottery, near Cardiff, was started by William Billingsley in 1813 for the production of porcelain. Although some very fine work was produced, the costs of production were too great and despite help from the Cambrian Pottery in Swansea the pottery closed in 1819. It recommenced production of glazed earthenware utility products in 1833 and eventually closed in 1921.