He first encountered pottery in small village workshops in India while in the army in the late 1940s. He studied at Guildford School of Art under Helen Pincombe (1951-1952). He began making pots himself at the age of thirty four (1962) and built his own workshop and kiln in Fulford, York, where he worked alone, virtually teaching himself to make a full range of stoneware and porcelain.
His pots were included in the index of the Crafts Council, he was a member of the Craftsman Potters Association, where he served the post of chairman for a term, and a member of the Northern Potters Association and British Crafts Centre. There was a major retrospective exhibition of his work at Aberystwyth and York (1996). His work is represented in many public collections, both within the UK and abroad.
© 2014 Ceramics Collection and Archive, Aberystwyth University, Ceredigion SY23 ING UK